Give Sports Massage a Try to Reduce Pain From Your Sports Injury
Massage therapy is recognized as one of the oldest methods of healing, with references in medical texts nearly 4,000 years old. Modern sports massage techniques can be traced back to the 1700s with the development of Swedish massage, the first systematic method of therapeutic massage based on anatomy and physiology. Massage therapy services have flourished all over the world since then.
Sports massage most commonly includes the application of pressure and kneading to muscles, joints, fascia, tendons, ligaments, skin, nerves, blood vessels and lymph vessels.
Our registered sports massage therapists in Toronto, Ontario are trained in many kinds of massage therapies, to relieve any pain you might be in.
What Does Sports Massage Help With?
Sports massage has a myriad of positive benefits for a variety of sports injuries and conditions. These include:
- Expedited healing of sports injuries
- Loosening of tight, tired and achy muscles
- Increasing flexibility and range of motion
- Diminishing chronic pain
- Calming of the nervous system
- Lowering of heart rate and blood pressure
- Enhancing skin tone
- Strengthening the immune system
- Reducing tension headaches and mental stress
- Improving concentration
- Promoting restful sleep
- Aiding in mental relaxation
In addition, massage therapy is one of the most efficient ways to prevent sports injuries during periods of high volume training, stress and activity.
Are Sports Massage Therapists Regulated?
Absolutely. Massage therapists are regulated health professionals who demonstrate skill in a variety of massage therapies.
- Only members of the College of Massage Therapists of a province or territory are permitted to use the title Massage Therapist or Registered Massage Therapist and use the letters MT or RMT with their names.
- Registered Massage Therapists have completed a 2-3 year (2200 hour) diploma programme from a recognized massage therapy school.
- Massage therapists participate in a Quality Assurance Programme that "assists them in the maintenance of high professional standards and quality care of their clients." CMTO, 2003
Why Choose a Massage Therapist From SEMI?
SEMI's registered massage therapists use their knowledge of anatomy and physiology to combine traditional Swedish and modern massage therapy techniques with exercise and other therapies to treat patients. They also work as members of our sports medicine team, thus increasing the efficiency in the total rehabilitation of your injury or condition.
Is Massage Therapy Covered by Provincial Healthcare Plans?
No. However many private and workplace insurance policies do provide coverage. A referral by a M.D. may or may not be necessary, so please consult with your insurance provider for more information.
Are you seeking a registered massage therapist to treat a sports injury or condition? SEMI's massage therapists excel in their field. Contact us today to set up an appointment or consultation.
Contact Us Today
We can help with your sports medicine or therapy needs.
Tip of the Month
When choosing a backpack for your child ensure that it appropriately sized and not too large. Once books and other items are placed in the bag, make sure it is no heavier than 10% of the child's body weight.