Fun Facts About Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is not just an archaic practice that was common in China, Japan and even ancient Egypt. The legacy has carried on from the past into modern times where 79% Canadians used at least one Complimentary or Alternative Medicine (CAM) during their lives, out of which the most popular was massage therapy used by 44% of the Canadian population in 2016.
Ever wondered how good massages give you a satisfying experience when it comes to relieving tensed nerves and relaxing stiff muscles?
Fingers don't just work magic on your body without a plausible explanation. It might not be rocket science to comprehend why it's hard to say NO to a massage but there definitely is some science behind the mystery of massages.
Here are some fun things to know how the magic works!
- Mechanoreceptors are pressure receptors that are most concentrated in the non-hairy areas of the body such as finger tips, lips, tongue and soles of feet which is why it is relieving to get these areas massaged.
- Ancient Egypt has tomb paintings as evidence of a common massage practice that dates back to 2500 BCE.
- Massages for sportsmen are known to boost athletic abilities and this is why participants of Olympics in 1996 were given massages in Atlanta. They have been used to enhance the performance of athletes participating in Olympics and otherwise for years!
- Massages can be performed anywhere from a table to a hot water therapy pool.
- Getting a massage releases endorphins which are the same neurotransmitters released when the mind is in a state of pleasure! Even though the process of getting a sports massage may not be as pleasurable, the results afterwards will most likely relieve you of the pain once the recovery period is complete.
- You might have come across hot stone therapy but snail massage, Chinese knife massage and bamboo massage are also interesting modifications of the traditional practice that exist!
- The longest massage chain record in the Guinness Book Of World Records was 1600 people long on the beach in Philippines on 16 May 2014!
- There are over 350 different modalities of massages in use today. Talk about variety!
- The secret to Bob Hope's century (Yes, he lived to be 100 years old!) was a massage every day in his 100-year lifetime.
- There's a reason you feel light-hearted after a massage. It lowers blood pressure and reduces heart rate.
The reason everyone cannot be a good masseuse is because it is more about technique than pressing random areas on your skin! Massage is more like a strategic selection of pressure points to induce maximum recovery and relief. They have not only helped with muscle strains and other injuries, but also enhanced immune systems by stimulating white blood cells that ward off illnesses.
They largely contribute in improving your mood and boosting creativity which is why executives and athletes alike are encouraged to include massage therapy in their busy schedules.
Sports and Exercise Medicine Institute (SEMI), Toronto's reputable sport medicine and physiotherapy clinics, is offering services to help alleviate pain from injuries through physiotherapy, chiropractic, acupuncture, shock wave therapy, sports massage therapy, personal training and much more.
Contact us now to revive your health and happiness. Based in the greater Toronto area, we are available to assist you!
|Tags: Lower body Upper body|